Victoria’s High Country is still popping with late autumn red and yellow leaves. One of the best ways to see the region’s famous colour display is by touring the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail on two wheels. Discover over 100kms of sealed off road trail lined with coloured foliage and linking the popular towns of Wangaratta, Milawa, Beechworth, Yackandandah, Rutherglen, Bright, Myrtleford and Harrietville.
From short rides to full day adventures, each leg of the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail offers stunning scenery, local produce and exceptional drinks. Better yet, all you need is a sense of adventure. We’ve pulled together a list of great recreational bike hire, self-guided and guided tour options to get your rail trail day out planning started.
Discover the historic township of Beechworth and nearby Yackandandah. Autumn tree lined streets, wineries, breweries and top-notch cafes and restaurants await cycling explorers. Don’t miss the 15km Beechworth to Everton Station downhill rail trail descent.
- Tour de Vines – Specialises in multi-day all inclusive guided and self-guided gourmet food cycling tours. Milawa and Rutherglen add ons also available.
- The Bike Hire Company – E-bike, hybrid and mountain bike hire set up for rail trail adventures plus bike shuttle bus drop-off and pick-up.
- Ride Republic powered by the Old Beechworth Gaol – E-mountain bike rental and bike shuttle buses from Beechworth or Yackandandah. Start your day with a coffee from the on-site cafe.
Nestled in the Ovens Valley, scenic Bright is a true cycling mecca and a favourite with active families. Choose from multiple short rides to the surrounding villages of Harrietville, Wandiligong and Porepunkah.
- All Terrain Cycles – Your one stop shop for all things cycling. Recreational bike hire plus mountain bike hire, mountain biking tours, skills and camps.
- Cyclepath Bright – Recreational hybrid and e-bike, tandem bike, children’s bike and trailer, dual suspension mountain bike, e-mountain bike and road bike hire.
The ultimate food and wine cycling destination. Tour Rutherglen and Wahgunyah for relaxed riding to over 20 award-winning wineries, outstanding restaurants and cafes, and world-class local produce.
- Rutherglen Radler e-Bike Hire – Go further with comfortable recreational electric cruiser bike hire.
- Rutherglen Visitor Information Centre – Seven-gear touring and tandem bike hire. Ask the knowledgeable local staff for all the insider food and drink tips.
Wangaratta is the starting point of the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail and the gateway to the Milawa gourmet region. Cycle 15kms along picturesque paths to Milawa for artisan producers of bread, mustard, cheese, honey and wine.
- West End Cycles – Recreational e-bike hire, bike shuttle transfers available by prior arrangement, bike sales and bike servicing.
- Quality Hotel Wangaratta Gateway – Enjoy a romantic cycling weekend away with the Stay, Cycle & Sip package including e-bike hire, accommodation, breakfast and cycling map.